Tax Commissioner

The Tax Commissioner is responsible for the billing and collection of ad valorem taxes. These taxes include real and personal property, motor vehicle tax, mobile home and timber tax. The Tax Assessor's Office is responsible for receiving all types of exemption applications and property tax returns.

Property Taxes--Real and Personal
Your property tax bill is based on a 40% assessment of the fair market value assigned to your property by the Tax Assessors. The Tax Assessors are responsible for the evaluation and appraisal of the property. The evaluation is based on the value of the property on January 1 of the tax year.

Your taxes are determined by multiplying the 40% assessment by the millage rate. The governing authority for each county sets the millage rate. The millage rate for the State is always a quarter of a mill, and the County Board of Commissioners sets the millage rate for County taxes and the County Board of Education sets the millage rate for County Schools.

Your garbage fee is included in your tax bill.

Tax Bills
Real estate taxes are normally due December 20 of each year. In a normal year, bills are mailed in mid-October. By law, taxes are mailed to the owner of record on January 1. If you fail to receive your tax bill, please call our office to have a duplicate bill mailed. WE DO NOT SEND BILLS TO MORTGAGE COMPANIES.

Taxes paid after the due date are subject to 1% interest per month. An additional 10% penalty will be assessed ninety (90) days after the due date. Fifa charges will be added when the bill is put on the General Execution Docket.

City Taxes
If any city taxes are due, the City Hall in Roberta collects them.

Tax Returns
Property Tax returns are filed between January 1 and April 1. The purpose of the tax return is to declare what you own and the value you feel the property is worth. This gives you the opportunity to receive an Assessment Notice, starting the appeal process with the Board of Assessors. Assessment notices will be mailed in the spring from the Tax Assessors, and you will have 45 days to file your appeal with the Board of Assessors. You do not have to file a return each year.

Property Tax Payments
Current Real and Personal Property tax payments may be made at the Tax Commissioner's Office located at the Crawford County Development Center, 1011 US Highway 341 North, Room 19 or mailed to P. O. Box 634, Roberta, GA 31078. If paying delinquent Real and Personal Property tax payments, please call the Tax Commissioner's Office for the correct amount if you are mailing payments. Forms of payments are checks, cash, and money orders. We currently do not accept credit cards or debit cards.

Property Tax Appeals
The Tax Commissioner's Office does not handle appeals on Property tax. You must submit in writing your appeal to the Tax Assessor's office.

Name and Address Changes
Georgia law requires that all Tax notices are sent to the owner of the property as of January 1 at their last known address. Property owners must notify the Tax Assessor's office immediately of any name and address change. The Tax Commissioner's office does not process name or address changes.

Tax Exemptions
You may file for Homestead Exemption any time during the course of the year, but the cutoff date for the digest is April 1. To qualify for regular Homestead, you must own and occupy the property on January 1, claim Georgia as your legal residence, and the property must be in the name of the applicant. Military Personnel must claim Georgia as their state of legal residence to qualify. You may qualify for extra exemptions at the age of 62. To qualify, you must be 62 on January 1 of the year you file. We also have exemptions for the disabled and veterans. To claim disability exemptions, you must provide the Tax Assessor's Office with two documents from two separate sources stating you are totally disabled.

There are other exemptions available through the Tax Assessor's Office, which include agricultural, preferential, conservation use, historical property, and tax exempt property. You may contact the Tax Assessor's office at 478-836-2800 for information regarding these programs.

Personal Property Returns
Personal Property Returns are to be given to the Tax Assessor's Office by April 1 of each year. Personal property includes, but is not limited to, machinery and equipment, furniture and fixtures, boats, aircraft, etc. If you have any questions regarding personal property returns, you may contact the Tax Assessor's Office at 478-836-2800.

Mobile Homes
When moving a mobile home into Crawford County for the first time, you must first contact the Planning and Zoning Office for a relocation permit. You will need to provide the make, model, and serial number of the mobile home. Driveway permits, 911 addresses, and septic tank permits are also obtained with the Planning and Zoning Office. You are required to register your mobile home within 30 days of the purchase.

Off-digest mobile home taxes are due by May 1. A 10% penalty and 1% interest per month is due after that date.
Before you move a mobile home out of the county, all taxes must be paid and a current decal displayed.

Tag Registration

Tag registrations are due by your birthday, NOT by the end of the month. You may purchase your tag thirty (30) days before your birthday. Renewal notices are not mailed; however, you may call to have your Registration mailed to you.

Business names take a different business schedule--by the first letter of the name. Failure to renew your tag by your birthday or business registration will result in the following penalties: 10% of the ad valorem tax or $5.00--whichever is greater, and 25% of the tag fee or $5.00--whichever is greater. It is your responsibility to renew your vehicle at the appropriate time whether you receive prior notice in the mail or not.

Transferring a Tag
You may transfer a tag from one vehicle to another as long as the first name on the new vehicle is the same as the old tag. Your tag must be current and not expired.

New Residents
Once you have established residence, you have 30 days to transfer your registrations to Crawford County. If you have a current registration from another county in Georgia, there will be no charge for this service. You must have a Georgia driver's license or a Georgia ID card. If you are coming from another state, you must provide your out-of-state title and registration. You will also be required to provide proof of your residence and insurance that covers you in Georgia. For additional information, please call our office at 478-836-3575.